This past April saw another Kensington Palace-led campaign. Prince William and his team decided to remind everyone that when William is king, he’ll do everything in his power to “strip” the Duke and Duchess of Sussex of their “royal titles.” This was conflated by some to mean that Harry and Meghan would eventually have to stop using their Sussex ducal title, but if you read the fine print, William’s “title-stripping” tantrum was about Harry and Meghan’s HRHs (technically a royal style, not title). This whole title-stripping issue was brought up again this week regarding Prince Andrew and all of his sleazy history. The Telegraph ran a story (after being extensively briefed by various royal courts) that “King William” will press the issue of removing all of Andrew’s titles. Well, I’m not sure how much stock to put into this, but NewsNation’s Paula Froelich had this exclusive:
There is a lot of talk these days of King Charles or Prince William (when he succeeds Charles) pulling Prince Andrew and Prince Harry’s “Duke” titles due to their respective bad behaviors (to be fair: Prince Andrew’s behavior has been demonstrably worse than Harry’s but both are on the bottom of the public opinion totem pole in the U.K.). But I wouldn’t hold my breath.
”There is no way Charles would do it,” a well-placed insider told me.
“Everyone keeps saying William will take away Andrew and Harry’s titles when he becomes king, but he literally can’t do that without an act of Parliament,” my insider explained. “There is absolutely no way William would do that as it would bring even more attention to the issues with them both.”
Instead, Andrew will be relegated to royal Siberia (even more so than he is now), and “not be invited to any family gatherings.” As of now, Andrew is still invited to Sandringham for Christmas and walks with the family to church. However, after King Charles dies and William is in charge, “there is no way Andrew will be invited to anything anymore.”
As for Harry, unless there is a serious breakthrough in the coming years, he will likely get the same treatment from William — silence.
”King Charles has to invite his brother to family events,” my insider said. “William doesn’t.”
And while King Charles may want to revive contact with Harry, and perhaps see his grandchildren Lilibet and Archie, one last time before he dies, William is “done” with his brother. As an insider told me earlier this year, there’s “no way would Kate or William allow them a private audience,” my source said. “They haven’t spoken to them (since Harry’s tell-all memoir “Spare” — in which he talked about both Kate and William — came out early last year) and don’t want to. It would be a PR opportunity and they’d likely blab everything to Gayle King a day later.”
William and Kate are said to have washed their hands of Harry and Meghan and are “not interested in any drama” that a visit (or renewing of relations) might bring.
”King Charles has to invite his brother to family events. William doesn’t.” Keep in mind, when QEII celebrated her Jubbly, she repeatedly insisted that Harry and Meghan should be included and invited. It’s not that I’m defending Andrew at all – if anything, he should have been stripped of all of his titles and thrown onto an ice floe years ago – but I don’t begrudge the Windsors for including Andrew in “family events.” Anyway, when William becomes king, we’ll see how all of this plays out. It’s the big unknown, whether William’s fundamentally lazy nature means that he won’t follow through on any of his most wrathful desires to “punish” his brother and his uncle.
Photos courtesy of Avalon Red.
-
- The Prince of Wales and the Queen during the Accession Council at St James’s Palace, London, where King Charles III is formally proclaimed monarch. Charles automatically became King on the death of his mother, but the Accession Council, attended by Privy Councillors, confirms his role. Picture date: Saturday September 10, 2022. . .,Image: 721406177, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: NO UK USE FOR 48 HOURS- Fee Payable Upon reproduction – For queries contact Avalon [email protected] London 44 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles 1 310 822 0419 Berlin 49 30 76 212 251 Madrid 34 91 533 42 89, Model Release: no, Credit line: Avalon.red / Avalon
-
- The Duke of York attends a service at Crathie Kirk, Balmoral in Scotland, following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday.,Image: 721406690, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: NO UK USE FOR 48 HOURS- Fee Payable Upon reproduction – For queries contact Avalon [email protected] London 44 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles 1 310 822 0419 Berlin 49 30 76 212 251 Madrid 34 91 533 42 89, Model Release: no, Credit line: Andrew Milligan / Avalon
-
- WINDSOR, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 10: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex on the long Walk at Windsor Castle on September 10, 2022 in Windsor, England. Crowds have gathered and tributes left at the gates of Windsor Castle to Queen Elizabeth II, who died at Balmoral Castle on 8 September, 2022.,Image: 721657222, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: NO UK USE FOR 48 HOURS- Fee Payable Upon reproduction – For queries contact Avalon [email protected] London 44 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles 1 310 822 0419 Berlin 49 30 76 212 251 Madrid 34 91 533 42 89, Model Release: no, Credit line: Avalon.red / Avalon
-
- WINDSOR, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 10: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex wave to crowd on the long Walk at Windsor Castle on September 10, 2022 in Windsor, England. Crowds have gathered and tributes left at the gates of Windsor Castle to Queen Elizabeth II, who died at Balmoral Castle on 8 September, 2022.,Image: 721659584, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: NO UK USE FOR 48 HOURS- Fee Payable Upon reproduction – For queries contact Avalon [email protected] London 44 20 7421 6000 Los Angeles 1 310 822 0419 Berlin 49 30 76 212 251 Madrid 34 91 533 42 89, Model Release: no, Credit line: Avalon.red / Avalon
-
- LONDON, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 14: (Back row) Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Vice Admiral, Sir Timothy Lawrence (front row) King Charles III, Princess Anne, Princess Royal and Prince Andrew, Duke of York walk behind the coffin during the procession for the Lying-in State of Queen Elizabeth II on September 14, 2022 in London, England. Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin is taken in procession on a Gun Carriage of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall where she will lay in state until the early morning of her funeral. Queen Elizabeth II died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on September 8, 2022, and is succeeded by her eldest son, King Charles III.,Image: 722636784, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: , Model Release: no, Credit line: Chris J Ratcliffe / Avalon
-
- LONDON, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 14: Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex walk behind the coffin during the procession for the Lying-in State of Queen Elizabeth II on September 14, 2022 in London, England. Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin is taken in procession on a Gun Carriage of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall where she will lay in state until the early morning of her funeral. Queen Elizabeth II died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on September 8, 2022, and is succeeded by her eldest son, King Charles III.,Image: 722656464, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: *** NO UK USE FOR 48 HRS ***, Model Release: no, Credit line: Kate Green/Avalon
-
- The Prince of Wales (right) and the Duke of Sussex before holding a vigil beside the coffin of their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, as it lies in state on the catafalque in Westminster Hall, at the Palace of Westminster, London.,Image: 724023537, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: *** NO UK USE FOR 48 HRS ***, Model Release: no, Credit line: Aaron Chown / Avalon
-
- Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, King Charles III, Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, and Prince Andrew, Duke of York, walk behind the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II as it is transported from Westminster Abbey following the funeral service on its journey to its final resting place in Windsor, London, Britain, September 19, 2022.,Image: 724177122, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: -, Model Release: no, Credit line: Marc Aspland The Times/Sunday Times / Avalon
-
- Prince William of Wales and Prince Harry follow the funeral procession of Queen Elizabeth II as it makes its way along the Mall, London, UK on September 19, 2022,Image: 724183784, License: Rights-managed, Restrictions: , Model Release: no, Credit line: James Shaw / Avalon

